As a majority of the U.S. Supreme Court seemed ready to strike down President Barack Obama's health care law Wednesday, a new pollfound that Americans supports its goals by 2 to 1.

The Reuters/Ipsos poll, released Wednesday, found that 44 percent of respondents favor the law, and 21 percent more oppose it because it doesn't go far enough, for a total of 65 percent.

The rest, 35 percent, said they oppose the law and major changes to health care generally.

People still very much hunger for something to fix the health care system, said Ipsos pollster Chris Jackson.

The justices heard a third and final day of arguments Wednesday and is likely to issue a decision by late June. If they void all or part of the measure, lawmakers would be left to sort through fallback options in the heat of the fall campaign.

Jackson said the responses are consistent with previous surveys.

There's wide recognition that the system, if not necessarily broken, is breaking. It's just that once you get down to specifics, that coalition of people who want to change the system breaks down, he said.

A large majority of Democrats, 72 percent, said they favor the law, while 86 percent of Republicans said they oppose it. Self-identified independents split, with 55 percent in opposition and 45 percent in favor.

Neither party has command of the issue, according to the poll. Asked who they trust the most to make sure that all Americans have access to quality health care, 46 percent chose none of these or don't know. The options were Obama (14 percent), Democrats in Congress (9 percent), Republicans in Congress (7 percent), pharmaceutical companies (1 percent), insurers (6 percent) and doctors and other health practitioners (18 percent).

The Reuters/Ipsos poll was conducted online March 23-28 and is based on answers from 1,953 Americans. The data were weighted to the U.S. population by factors such as gender and age. The margin of error is plus or minus 2.6 percentage points.