A woman set her two children on fire before killing herself after her husband beat her up. The incident took place Wednesday in Ghaziabad, a city in the Indian state of Uttar Pradesh.

Police said the woman, in her 30s, poured a combustible liquid on herself and her two children. She then set herself and the young children on fire. While the woman and her 2-year-old daughter died, her 6-year-old son was able to escape and is currently being treated for burn injuries at a hospital. 

Local police were informed about the incident by the neighbors. Police arrived at the scene and rushed the three people to the hospital where the mother and daughter were declared dead. Police officer Naresh Kumar Jadon said the boy was in very critical condition. 

"There is a complete chaos in the locality. The case appears to be related to domestic violence. The bodies have been sent for post-mortem (autopsy)," said Jadon, according to local media NDTV.

According to Om Prakash Singh, a local police officer, the woman and her husband were involved in frequent arguments. Before the tragedy, the husband had demanded some money from his wife, but she refused to give him the cash, following which she was beaten up.

The couple, identified by their first names Kailash and Deepa, were married for three years. Local police said that after Deepa was beaten up Wednesday, she locked herself in a room and decided to end her life.

It remains unclear if charges will be filed against the husband. Police are waiting for autopsy results, following which they will proceed with the investigation.

In a similar incident that took place recently in Gorakhpur district in Uttar Pradesh, a woman killed her four-year-old daughter following an argument with her husband. Police said the 30-year-old woman was annoyed with her husband as he gave a part of his salary to his mother, who lived in the same village with her three other sons. The couple got into an argument regarding the same following which the woman beat their daughter and killed her. The woman was taken into custody and charged with murder.