KEY POINTS

  • Trump's Facebook and Instagram accounts were visible Wednesday afternoon
  • Andy Stone later clarified that Trump is still indefinitely suspended from Facebook
  • The former president was suspended a day after the U.S. Capitol siege

Former President Donald Trump on Wednesday appeared to have been allowed back on Facebook months after the company blocked his access to his social media account. 

On Wednesday, some social media users noticed that the former president’s official Facebook page was visible on the platform. The page still included Trump’s posts from Jan. 6, the day of the Capitol siege. His Instagram account was also visible. Facebook owns Instagram.

Multiple journalists took to Twitter to report the possible reactivation of Trump’s social media accounts just hours after it was confirmed that Trump shut down his blog less than a month after its launch. This prompted Facebook’s Policy Communications Director, Andy Stone, to clarify whether Trump was allowed back to Facebook. 

“No. Nothing about the status of President Trump's presence on our platform has changed. He remains indefinitely suspended,” he wrote in a statement. 

Trump’s pages were not taken down and remain visible despite being suspended from posting on them on Jan. 7, a day after his posts allegedly incited a riot at the U.S. Capitol that led to the death of five people, including a police officer. 

“States want to correct their votes, which they now know were based on irregularities and fraud, plus corrupt process never received legislative approval.  All Mike Pence has to do is send them back to the States, AND WE WIN. Do it Mike, this is a time for extreme courage!” one of his posts read. 

Trump’s senior aide Jason Miller confirmed that the ex-POTUS permanently shut down his blog “From the Desk of Donald J. Trump.”

“It was just auxiliary to the broader efforts we have and are working on,” Miller said. “Hoping to have more information on the broader efforts soon, but I do not have a precise awareness of timing.”

Miller also suggested that the blog’s shutdown was a “precursor” to the former president joining a different social media platform. 

“Yes, actually, it is. Stay tuned!” he said

Trump had previously boasted about his viewership on his blog, claiming that his suspension from Facebook and Twitter caused tens of millions of supporters to stop using the platform. 

However, the former president did not cite any sources as to where he received the data. Trump’s blog also struggled to get a fraction of the engagement he previously had, according to NBC News

The former president's blog -- "From the Desk of Donald J. Trump" -- was canned after being launched only a month ago The former president's blog -- "From the Desk of Donald J. Trump" -- was canned after being launched only a month ago Photo: AFP / ANDREW CABALLERO-REYNOLDS